We occupy a small portion of the solar system, which occupies and even smaller portion of the galaxy, and so on. To understand the entire Universe would take more than any one person could do in a lifetime. Just researching our solar system could occupy a scientist throughout a career. Obviously, you do not have that kind of time to dedicate to the topic, so we decided to compile many of the article we have about it here on Universe Today in one simple page of links for your convenience. Before we through you to the links, here are a few fun facts about the solar system that we live in.
There are 166 moons orbiting the 8 recognized planets in our solar system.
Some scientists believe that there may be a second star in our solar system, but we can not see it. They have even gone so far as to name it ‘Nemesis’. It is theorized that it exists beyond the Oort Cloud; therefore, out of our viewing capabilities.
The largest volcano in the solar system also happens to be the largest mountain on Mars. Olympus Mons is three times taller than Mt. Everest at a towering 27 kilometers.
There are four dwarf planets in our solar system. Any of the four could become planets depending on any future reclassification efforts by the International Astronomical Union.
As humans we think that we are a huge part of the Universe. We are not. We occupy one planet that orbits a single star among the 200 billion that are in the Milky Way. Imagine how tiny we are compared to the known Universe?
There are thousands of facts about the solar system in the links below. Enjoy your research.
The Solar System
- Interesting Facts About the Solar System
- Our Solar System
- What is the Solar System?
- How Big is the Solar System?
- Diameter of the Solar System
- Solar System Orbits
- How Old is the Solar System?
- Stars and Planets
- All About Planets
- Inner Solar System
- Beyond the Solar System
- Solar System, Galaxy, Universe
- Diagram of the Solar System
- New Solar System
- Solar System Order
- Oort Cloud
- Interplanetary Space
- Plane of the Ecliptic
- Deep Space
Theories about the Solar System
- Formation of the Solar System
- How Was the Solar System Formed?
- Origin of the Solar System
- Solar Nebula
- Solar Disruption Theory
- Solar Nebula Theory
- Geocentric Theory
- Geocentric Model
- Heliocentric Model
- Difference Between Geocentric and Heliocentric
- How Many Stars are in the Solar System?
- Largest Volcano in the Solar System
- What is the Largest Moon in the Solar System?
- What is the Smallest Moon in the Solar System?
- Largest in the Solar System
Solar System Stuffs