The Most Unique Rocket Launch You’ll Ever See

Article written: 12 Feb , 2015
Updated: 23 Dec , 2015

Have you ever heard of a girandola? I had not until we came across this video — which is pretty incredible! This might be one of the most unique things I’ve ever seen.

Girandolas are flying horizontal wheels and are a favorite of pyrotechnicians.

But as rudimentary as the setting looks in the video, girandolas are high precision, finely tuned instruments. According a group of fireworks professionals called the Pennsylvania Organization of Recreational Chaos (PORC), “you must have every driver (rocket motor) fire at the same time and be precisely tuned in order for the girandola to fly. There is very little room for error or it will not fly.”

You can find more info about girandolas at the link above, or here and it looks like they are available for purchase here.

, ,

1. looiewu says

Holy cow!!!

2. UFOsMOTHER says

You have to give it to the Chinese that was great especially coming from the people that invented rockets, excellent 🙂

3. Tim McDaniel says

Great video! I’d never heard of them. It’s especially great that it was in daylight (unlike some samples I glanced at) so I could see more.

How did that parachute work? The wheel was tumbling sideways (around a diameter) but the chute worked without winding around it. If it was attached on the rim at one point of the axis of rotation, wouldn’t that have moved to be the top point? If not, wouldn’t it have tangled?

4. albone says

Madness!!…I wouldn’t put my Kerbals aboard that.
    though it’s a amusing thought 😉

5. john kulick says

Was this part of the rocket festival in Thailand?

It was because of a kung Fu movie I first found out about the rocket festival.
    cool

6. Member
    Aqua4U says

Now THAT was fun! I wonder how far away that sucker landed?

7. sangos says

Good Lord! That wheel chugged like a loco pointed up to the sky. Most intriguing is the chute which opened perfectly timed amid the tumbling and after all the fireworks. Guess NASA would not feel bashful to take some notes.

8. Forty says