Infographic: The Anatomy of a Supersonic Freefall

Article written: 15 Feb , 2012
Updated: 24 Dec , 2015

What are all the steps and stages of Felix Baumgartner’s record-setting freefall attempt which will take place later this year? This infographic provides a look at what happen during the jump.

More info see our article about Baumgartner and the Red Bull Stratos mission, or the Red Bulletin. Alan Boyle’s Cosmic log has a different version of this infographic, a larger (12MB) pdf.

Nancy Atkinson is currently Universe Today’s Contributing Editor. Previously she served as UT’s Senior Editor and lead writer, and has worked with Astronomy Cast and 365 Days of Astronomy. Nancy is the author of the new book “Incredible Stories from Space: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Missions Changing Our View of the Cosmos.” She is also a NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador.

, ,

1. Doug Black says

I’m sure this would be very interesting … if I could read the damned thing. Graphic design FAIL.

• daniel_rey_m says

Why can’t you just download the image separately and then use the Zoom In tool? If it still isn’t enough, copy/paste onto Word, change the View from Print Layout to Web Layout and use the Stretch tool.

• Member
        squidgeny says

It’s not really a problem of zooming, it’s the poor (and rather bizarre) choice of background image.

But since the article links to a much better image anyway, there’s really not much reason to complain.

• krenshala says

Its a problem due to both their choice of white text on a white/light-blue background (text easily blends in), and JPEG compression blurring the text. This problem is evident even on the larger image.

2. DarkGnat says

I was wondering what was up with this guy. I figure Red Bull got cold feet or something. I hope he is successful, and everything goes according to plan.

3. Mark Dunk says

My first parachuting experience was from 14,000 feet, a free-fall of about 60 seconds. This is going to be awesome!

4. bugzzz says

Please tell me this entire thing will be videotaped from his POV. I don’t need to experience it first hand. That will be close enough.

5. jean John says

I can’t understand. Maybe this should be had a full article. I tried to download the picture but still I can’t see the picture clearly even if I zoom because of the picture quality.

Facts About Earth

6. Sandipan says

The text is unreadable. Otherwise the concept is great.

Comments are closed.