Super Bowl Goes to Space

Article written: 2 Feb , 2009
Updated: 2 Feb , 2009

I admit, I watched the Super Bowl with all its hype and consumerism. But who can pass up a good excuse for a party or miss a chance to see Springsteen? A couple of the advertisements caught my eye. One was a fun spot with astronauts tearing around on Titan with a space-age hot rod. The premise is old, but enjoyable nonetheless. If you didn’t get a chance to see it, here it is:

Also, a trailer for the new Star Trek movie aired during the game, with more hot rods:

For more info on the new Trek movie to be released May 8, 2009, see the official movie website.

1. guillermo says

Hi! I´m writing from germany, and I can say that are many US sites that oesn´t broadcast videos for anyone outside the US, like the spot of astronauts on titan hosted by HULU… I specially hate that I miss the chance of watching PBS nova videos… whatever, all the bes! I love universetoday!

2. Savino says

Good grief… Spock and Kirk looks so teenager and… well…. gay.

What they will make to the series!?!??!!

3. James says

In Canada we can not see the Hulu content either.

4. matt says

Huh, thats weird. It works perfectly fine here, in america!

5. jason s says

I love how at the bottom of the bridgestone ad it warns ” do not attempt “.

6. Mieszko says

I’m from Poland. Universetoday is great astro site!!! The best on internet, but hulu video don’t work 🙁

7. The Bridgestone ad is now available through You Tube , so I’ve put that one in instead of the Hulu — how does that work for everyone?

8. Timmy says

What if Kirk and Spock were gay? Got a problem with that?

9. SeaFire says

LMAO, wow, if I needed tires thats who I’d buys them from … and change my insurance policy to include alien wheel jecking. lol

UniverseToday is awesome . . . the only site I read daily.

10. Savino says

Timmy Says:
    February 2nd, 2009 at 10:06 am

What if Kirk and Spock were gay? Got a problem with that?

Uuuh, sorry sister! I didnt meant to hurt your feelings!!!!

11. Sofia says

The first video is very funny.
    But was Spock really gay ? I remember ( long time ago ) that he had a family…

12. Matthias says

This doesn’t look like Titan at all. More like one of the smaller moons without a noticeable atmosphere.

I’m not even sure it’s Saturn in the background, the rings look very slim to me.

Where does the info of this being Titan come from?

13. Sili says

Is this why we spend billions sending people to Titan?!! So they can goof off and get mugged?! NASA should be shut down and the money put to good use! Like free footrubs for little old ladies after temple.

/snark

14. Jorge says

In reply to Nancy: Youtube videos work perfectly outside the US. It’s just Hulu that sucks really, really hard.

15. Frank Glover says

“What if Kirk and Spock were gay? Got a problem with that?”

“Please, Captain. Not in front of the Klingons.”

(Yes, that *is* a line from ST5…)

16. Mieszko says

Nancy Atkinson, thanks!

17. wandering by says

(I can’t resist this)

There’s a semi-serious school of thought that Kirk and Spook do display all the classic signs of significant relationship/connection, even if it’s an unconsummated one and also that Kirk’s womanising is merely overcompensation while Bones’ attitude towards Spook is in part coming from jealousy.

Then there’s Kirk’s 2nd career as a lawyer…. well!

I’d imagine the tabloid mags of the 23rd century would’ve been full of speculation and innuendo around a love triangle, or even quadrangle if you throw Uhura into the mix, on the Bridge of the Enterprise. I mean it was a 5yr mission after all 🙂

“Not in front of the Klingons Capt” ROTFLMO

18. John says

Not to diminish everyone else’s enjoyment of it, but it seems that I may be the only person in the country who didn’t find this entertaining or funny at all? My coworkers were quite excited about it this morning.

19. Dave M says

Superbowl sucks.

20. Timmy says

Most men would prefer to be with other men, they are just too afraid to admit due to pressure from society – especially women who feel their already dwindling pool of choice mates is threatened.

21. butt says

Two idiots posting ^

22. jennifer says

how do you know the setting was titan?

23. Member
    DrNothing says

Typical American male attitude… “Let’s go out and [email protected]#* up a pristine environment so we can have an afternoon of acting like spastic idiots… hooting and hollering and being ‘in yer face’ and ‘XTREME’! Wass-up!?!”… *gags*