≡ Menu

All 135 Space Shuttle Launches at Once

We’re not sure how we missed this when it came out last year, but this incredible video shows all 135 launches of the space shuttle program at once. Creator McLean Fahnestock calls it “The Grand Finale” and rightly so. A great display of “fireworks” and a wonderful homage to the legacy of the space shuttles.

The one launch failure, Challenger on STS-51-L does stand out in this video and the words “obviously a major malfunction” will always linger. But the drive to keep striving for the heavens will always be there.

Nancy Atkinson is Universe Today's Senior Editor. She also works with Astronomy Cast, and is a NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador.

• Amar Mainkar July 7, 2012, 10:30 AM

The space shuttles are a testimony to the human spirit to go beyond what is thought possible and the video serves as an inspiration to look behind and see how far we’ve come and look ahead to remind ourselves how far we still have to go. The part where all the boosters go off and the 135 mini videos light up in ‘fireworks’ is truly captivating. Great stuff!

• Brenda Jean Louise July 7, 2012, 1:50 PM

As I watched all those shuttle launches, and I believe I saw them all on TV, and one from the air above the Florida overcast clouds as I was in a jet heading to Tampa for my fathers funeral. But then the reality sunk in as I watched the fateful Challenger mission that blew up right after the command to “throttle up” was given, and then I thought of the other that that I watched on TV being ripped apart in reentry. That’s two lumps in my throat that I’ll never forget. I hail all the brave astronauts that were a part of the shuttle missions. Well done !!!
    Oh, yes. To the editor that put this video together…WELL DONE !!!

• kcowing July 7, 2012, 3:41 PM

Nice of them to slip the Challenger explosion in there and make it the focus of the audio. Some better labeling of this video is advised.

• UndiFineD July 7, 2012, 5:10 PM

All heroes!
    Especially the crews that lost their lives.
    And the most amazing thing is.
    In both occasions management took unacceptable risks
    for malfunctions engineers had warned about beforehand.

• Gadi Eidelheit July 8, 2012, 8:21 AM

I also missed it, thanks for bringing it. Our hearts will always be with STS-51 and STS-107.

• Richard Raue July 8, 2012, 10:15 AM

another shuttle-post? the shuttle is dead. get over it!

• delphinus100 July 8, 2012, 10:05 PM

And why should that fact make this any less interesting…?

Heck, a few days ago, I learned something about the Saturn 5 first stage that I never knew.

• SJStar July 8, 2012, 10:44 PM

Typical response. Like most in North America, they are addicted to nostalgia when they fall from being the centre of attention. Richard tells it like it is, Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)… How far the mighty has fallen.

• delphinus100 July 8, 2012, 11:20 PM

(sigh)

You know, I recently saw a video that simultaneously displayed all 79 original Star Trek episodes in the same manner. Also…interesting. What does looking too deeply tell you about that?

You seem unable to refrain from over-analyzing and politicizing something long enough to just say; ‘Hey, that’s cool.’ and move on…or think that anyone else can. Sorry but, the laws of physics don’t seem to allow knowing the *next* 135 manned space launches will look like.

Are you this much fun at parties?

• TerryG July 8, 2012, 8:58 PM

Ah… so that’s why George
    Diller
    always sounds like it’s way past his bed time.

You can go back to Decaf now George and
    thanks for all the commentaries.

hide