This is the new ‘We Are the Explorers’ Video You’ll See at ‘Star Trek: Into Darkness”

by Nancy Atkinson on May 17, 2013

Want to stay on top of all the space news? Follow @universetoday on Twitter

Have you seen Star Trek: Into Darkness yet? If so, did you see the NASA-themed trailer, too? A crowd-funded 30-second video called “We Are the Explorers” is debuting at theaters this week, shown before the new Trek film begins. It highlights America’s future in space and is narrated by actor Peter Cullen, the voice of head Transformer Optimus Prime.

The 30-second spot was inspired by the original “We Are The Explorers” video (watch below) NASA put out last year, and the Aerospace Industries Association partnered with the Challenger Center for Space Science Education for a IndieGoGo funding drive to run the trailer ahead of the movie on 400 screens in more than 50 cities nationwide, including major markets in New York, Los Angeles and Washington. They raised nearly $53,000 from more than 1,700 people; they would have needed $94,000 in order to have it shown at every theater in the US.

“With the end of the Space Shuttle program, there seemed to be a widespread misperception in the media that the U.S. human spaceflight program was over,” AIA President and CEO Marion C. Blakey said in a statement. “Nothing could be further from the truth. And young people contemplating their future need to know that there are many exciting career opportunities in aerospace.”

The original:

Nancy Atkinson is Universe Today's Senior Editor. She also is the host of the NASA Lunar Science Institute podcast and works with Astronomy Cast. Nancy is also a NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador.

Rick Holcomb May 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I should not comment on the film before I see it. But I’m not going to see it. I would, most likely, get up and walk out. At least, from what I’ve read of it.

The director admits he never liked the series. So, it seems, he’s made and ‘action’ film. Bang, bang. shoot ‘em up. Aimed at thirteen year old boys.

Martha Fast May 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM

This article isn’t about Into Darkness. It’s about space exploration advertising.

Also, I enjoy that you started your comment with “I should not comment… before I see it” and then proceeded to comment on a film you have no intention of seeing.

Good job.

Rick Holcomb May 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM

” I enjoy that you started your comment with “I should not
comment… before I see it” and then proceeded to comment on a film you have no intention of seeing”

I assume that is some prickly sarcasm there. But it is a valid point. I should have kept my mouth shut (sat on my hands).

But if this movie is: ” It’s about space exploration advertising” then I’m a chineese aviator.

Chester Twarog May 18, 2013 at 2:38 AM

This was not shown at the Regal Solomon Pond Stadium 15 cinemas in Marlborough, MA, on opening day. I was quite disappointed.

Kevin Hartley May 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Or the AMC Tyson’s Corner (VA) for the preview or the AMC Loews Rio 18 in Gaithersburg (MD) on Saturday.

Planemo May 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Anything Star-Trek is good for the mind. It helps people think of the possibilities some day in the way distant future. It is Hollywood and ‘some facts will be misleading’. Some.

Robert Gishubl May 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM

It is good that the new NASA exploration video includes portions on comercial crew.

Previous post: