This week we are excited to welcome Amy Ross, NASA Space Suit Engineer, to the WSH. Amy is the team lead for the Exploration Extra-vehicular Mobility Unit (xEMU) Pressure Garment Subsystem (PGS) as well as Space Suit Pressure Garment Technology Development. The team’s primary focus is the design, fabrication, qualification testing, and flight hardware delivery of the xEMU PGS in 2023.
As part of her duties with NASA, Amy has, among other things, qualified suits in the Neutral Buoyancy Lab, flown on the Vomit Comet (experiencing zero, Lunar, and Mars gravities), been trained in Space Shuttle Launch pad mode II/IV egress procedures, and served as a Space suit test subject for 12 different space suit design configurations. In 2013, she underwent an Astronaut interview.
Amy earned her Bachelors and Masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University. She went on to earn a Masters in Space Studies from the University of North Dakota.
Trivia tidbit: Amy is the daughter of astronaut Jerry Ross, who has flown in space seven times and conducted nine spacewalks, setting two U.S. records.
Stay up to date with NASA’s space suit design by visiting the EVA website.
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest.
Want to support CosmoQuest? Here are specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Subscribe to our podcasts Astronomy Cast and Daily Space where ever you get your podcasts!
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Buy stuff from our Redbubble https://www.redbubble.com/people/cosmoquestx
- Join our Discord server for CosmoQuest – https://discord.gg/X8rw4vv
Don’t forget to like and subscribe! Plus we love being shared out to new people, so tweet, comment, review us… all the free things you can do to help bring science into people’s lives.
If you would like to join the Weekly Space Hangout Crew, visit their site and sign up. They’re a great team who can help you join our online discussions.
We record the Weekly Space Hangout every Wednesday at 5:00 PM Pacific/8:00 PM Eastern. You can watch us live on Universe Today or the Weekly Space Hangout YouTube page. Please subscribe!