This week we are joined by Dana Backman, an astrophysicist with a Ph.D. from the University of Hawai’i. He was an infrared astronomy researcher at Kitt Peak Observatory and NASA Ames, then a professor of physics & astronomy at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Dana has also taught introductory astronomy at Santa Clara U., in Stanford’s Continuing Studies Program, and the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.
Dana is co-author with Michael Seeds of three introductory college astronomy textbooks: Foundations, Horizons, and ASTRO.
Currently Dana directs the NASA Airborne Astronomy Ambassadors (AAA) program for the SETI Institute, bringing high school science teachers on NASA’s SOFIA flying observatory. To learn more about the AAA program, visit their website at https://www.seti.org/aaa
You can learn more about Dana by visiting his SETI Institute page at: https://www.seti.org/our-scientists/dana-backman
Beth Johnson (Twitter: @planetarypan)
Chris Carr (Twitter: @therealCCarr)
The Weekly Space Hangout is a production of CosmoQuest.
Want to support CosmoQuest? Here are specific ways you can help:
- Subscribe FREE to our YouTube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/c/cosmoquest
- Watch our streams over on Twitch at: https://www.twitch.tv/cosmoquestx – follow and subscribe!
- Become a Patreon of Astronomy Cast: https://www.patreon.com/astronomycast
- Become a Patreon of CosmoQuest: https://www.patreon.com/cosmoquestx
- Become a Patreon of 365 Days of Astronomy: https://www.patreon.com/365DaysOfAstronomy
If you would like to join the Weekly Space Hangout Crew, visit their site and sign up. They’re a great team who can help you join our online discussions.
We record the Weekly Space Hangout every Wednesday at 5:00 PM Pacific/8:00 PM Eastern. You can watch us live on Universe Today or the Weekly Space Hangout YouTube page. Please subscribe!