≡ Menu

NASA’s Final 2012 Doomsday Debunking Video (We Hope)

Despite countless articles published over the course of several years to the contrary, despite videos and interviews with some of the world’s most prominent and well-respected astronomers, despite new archaeological discoveries and well-established knowledge, despite the laws of physics, for crying out loud (and, curiously enough, even despite the fact that parts of the world are, at the time of this writing, already well within the supposed “doomsday” with nary a Nibiru in sight) many people are still wondering what will happen on the much-touted December 21, 2012, aka “doomsday” per the end of the 13th b’ak’tun of the Maya calendar (or something like that.) After all, if it’s trending on Twitter it must be important, right?

Well, yes and no. No because there’s not a shred of truth to the whole thing (except for the fact that there were Maya and they had a calendar) but yes because many people are actually very concerned about… well, I guess about the safety of the world. (Don’t believe me? Read this.) Which is in itself reasonable, I suppose. So in the nature of public outreach and the attempt to spread real information to combat the other kind, NASA’s has released yet one more video interview with astrophysicist David Morrison, director of the Carl Sagan Center for Study of Life in the Universe at the SETI Institute. I don’t know if David could tell you how to replace a broken head gasket or perform an appendectomy, but when it comes to space he knows his stuff. So check out the video, be not alarmed, and pass it on to anyone you know who might still be feeling the b’ak’tun blues.

See you on the 22nd! (Still skeptical? Check out some other videos and links below.)

Read more: How Have the 2012 Doomsday Myths Become Part of Our Accepted Lexicon?

And here’s a “reality check” from JPL’s Don Yeomans, an expert on near-Earth objects and asteroids:

Read more: No Doom in 2012: Stop the Insanity!

So rest assured, the only astronomical event expected for the 21st is the winter solstice (summer in the south), which happens every year on every planet with an axial tilt with no ill effects (besides perhaps a sudden sinking realization that you’re nowhere near done with your holiday shopping.) Happy solstice!

A graphic designer in Rhode Island, Jason writes about space exploration on his blog Lights In The Dark, Discovery News, and, of course, here on Universe Today. Ad astra!

• organix December 20, 2012, 1:58 PM

Actually that is false, there is factual evidence that a pole shift has occurred in the past.

• outerspaceguy December 20, 2012, 7:06 PM

I liked okcupid’s take on it; they are having fun with it! This is what I got in my inbox last night: [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img11/4461/picture3sey.png[/IMG]

• Aqua4U December 20, 2012, 11:01 PM

SPAM and eggs anyone?

• ??????? ????????? December 20, 2012, 7:52 PM

I hope that this will help. It is written both in English and Greek. The first two images are from Starry Night software:

• Aqua4U December 20, 2012, 11:07 PM

So Jason… you are saying that the sky is NOT falling? That’s not what MY horoscope said! I looked it up! Under MY sign – feces – it said that I would run out of toilet paper soon! ~@; )

• Jihm December 21, 2012, 12:41 AM

Since the world is ending anyway, now is the time to call up your boss and tell him what a jerk you have always thought him to be. (or, maybe not.)

• Mean_deviatioN December 21, 2012, 1:09 AM

“the only astronomical event expected for the 21st is the winter solstice”.

Really?

How about the summer solstice I have just experienced on the exact same day at the exact same time? 10:12am to be precise:

• Jason Major December 21, 2012, 6:05 AM

Ok, ok, point taken. Touché.

• Default December 20, 2012, 9:20 PM

It is not incorrect that the world is going to end. The way the universe works is quite fascinating. Every single action that takes place affects all other actions. At a particular point in time, a prediction could be accurate. But a prediction is just what it is… a prediction and nothing more. The variables in the universe is what keeps a predicted event away… you choosing to use a ‘fork’ instead of a ‘spoon’ could cause a man half way around the world to fail at his interview. How is this possible? Because every single thing in the universe is connected. As for December 21, 2012 – it was true at one point in time, the variables kept it from happening. That does not mean it won’t happen.

• Jimmy Wolf Swooper Macadoodoo- December 21, 2012, 2:37 AM

You mean its the FINAL debunking because we’re all doomed, doomed I tells ya!!! If I was in China I’d be in prison by now…

• Deepsky_hunter December 21, 2012, 3:55 AM

W.C. Fields once said “Theirs a sucker born every minute” Perhaps an amendment to the quote should be implemented…”Doomsday Sucker”

• Kevin Frushour December 21, 2012, 6:50 AM

boy, the afterlife sure looks like my computer screen.

• Tony Jifkins December 21, 2012, 7:11 AM

Dont worry america, It’s already 21 december in Australia and the world still exists.

• Ben December 21, 2012, 3:01 AM

6:11 am GMT buddy. you still have 3 hours

• Reutcek Basilio December 21, 2012, 8:10 AM

What?! Nothing happened?! I have to face all my credit card bills now?!

• Lorin Ionita December 21, 2012, 8:20 AM

The NASA video doesn’t explain them well. Especially the black hole explanation. “Astronomers say it’s impossible.” is not enough. People who know why it wouldn’t swallow us agree with the astronomers, it’s impossible. But people who believe in the 2012 doomsday predictions, don’t understand why it’s impossible, so it strikes them as “because I say so”.

• Ajai Dev Malik December 21, 2012, 3:49 PM

I just happened to come across these comments by anonymous here…..

Maybe you are troubling someone out there….. I happened to talk to them…..

If people are stars…. then who is the sun ?….

• Ajai Dev Malik December 21, 2012, 4:10 PM

I just happened to come across these comments by anonymous here…..

Maybe you are troubling someone out there….. I happened to talk to them…..

If people are stars…. then who is the sun ?….

• Olaf2 December 21, 2012, 6:29 PM

Waaaay past 6:11 AM GMT?

EPIC FAIL

• Pasha Yushin December 21, 2012, 10:25 PM

IT”S OFFICIAL: I SURVIVED DECEMBER 21, 2012!! (I created this design a few months ago knowing there will be those among us destined to survive!!! ;) Our SOULar System passed the Galactic Equator at around 10:36am UTC, as witnessed by the Hubble Telescope and the International Space Station marking a New Cosmic Cycle. Happy HOLY-DAYS (Holidays) everyone!!

• Dav_Daddy December 23, 2012, 8:00 AM

Dang it! The only thing I got on my fb page “The world is ending so gimme all ur stuff” was some guys bills.

Oh well there’s always next apocalypse.

hide