≡ Menu

Universe Today Syndication Policy (Steal Our Content… Please)

Universe Today news on CSM

Universe Today news on CSM

I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but Universe Today articles are showing up on other websites, including our good friends over at Discovery News, Physorg, and even the Christian Science Monitor. I’ve had a few people emailing me, warning me that people are stealing our content.

They’re not stealing, I’m encouraging them to steal. Here’s the deal, and I’ve actually said this for years and years: feel free to use Universe Today articles for anything you like. You don’t need to ask permission. If you find an article that you like, and you’d like to put it on your website, be our guest. Free. You can put it into a website, record it as a podcast, include it your Astronomy Club’s newsletter, etc.

All we ask is that you attribute Universe Today as the original source of the article, and that you give credit to the original writer. If it’s on the web, please provide a link back to the original article on Universe Today. I think that’s fair. Free content for your website in exchange for a link back.

I know that a lot of the big media companies have been slashing their news teams, and dedicated science news is one of the departments that got hit pretty hard. It’s too bad. There’s a huge hunger for good quality, original science news, and the success of Universe Today demonstrates this.

So remember. Steal our content, it’s free. Don’t bother asking, just take it. Put a link back to Universe Today if it’s on the web, and give the original author the credit so they can boost their credentials.

If you want to do something more complicated, or a cooperative news piece with Universe Today, just drop me an email. We’d be happy to help out.

Fraser Cain
Publisher

Fraser Cain is the publisher of Universe Today. He's also the co-host of Astronomy Cast with Dr. Pamela Gay.

• Ian O'Neill December 10, 2010, 11:47 AM

Aw Fraser, now you’ve taken the fun out of me stealing your articles! When I was doing it behind your back it was so exciting. Now I realize I was just a part of your nefarious syndication plans?!

In all seriousness, it’s superb that you do this. You’re right, the web doesn’t have enough good, accurate science news. Whenever I syndicate UT articles on Discovery News, they’re always of superb quality.

I miss writing for this website :(

Cheers, Ian

• Nancy Atkinson December 10, 2010, 12:01 PM

We miss you too, Ian!

• Nicholos Wethington December 10, 2010, 2:34 PM

Ditto that, Nancy – Ian is surely missed. Discovery News is lucky!

• Spoodle58 December 11, 2010, 2:42 AM

He sure is missed.
      Pity you don’t have the time to do a monthly article Ian.
      (Your probably under contract also though)

• Brent Logan December 10, 2010, 12:48 PM

Thanks for doing this. Now, make this license easily findable. Create an About page with copyright and license info and/or put a Creative Commons license in the footer. To see a sample, check out my blog.

Otherwise, people will just see your copyright notice.

• skoyles December 10, 2010, 8:37 PM

As a regular viewer, thanks, since it was one of those back links that resulted in me discovering this site and getting “addicted”.

• Spoodle58 December 11, 2010, 2:34 AM

Same here, those back lines bring lots of new readers to UT.

• Spacemad December 11, 2010, 3:53 AM

Thanks, Fraser. I’ve been copying extracts of articles from here for years, but I’ve always linked back to the original articles.

I “cut my teeth” posting on forums with UniverseToday. I now have around 1100 posts on UT! I hope that through my posts on other forums linking back here, other people have taken to reading the articles published here. You have some good writers & Nancy is probably my favourite, however I miss your contributions!

• Jorge December 11, 2010, 6:23 AM

Fraser, tell me something. Say I’d like to steal some of your content, but intend it to another kind of audience, which means I wish to translate it. Is it just as free that way?

• Fraser Cain December 12, 2010, 1:18 AM

Sure, translations would be cool. If it helps people learn about space, that’s all good.

• GMBertolini December 11, 2010, 1:34 PM

Great idea Fraser.
    The Universe Today is the initial page of my browser, besides have being subscribed to it.
    I always got your articles (and Nancy articles too) and save them to show to my son and friends, not to mention the images posted.
    So, in fact, I have been stealing it too, for a long time.
    Many thanks.

“Long life and prosperous”.

• Gadi Eidelheit December 12, 2010, 4:52 AM

Thanks! I am using your articles a lot (and referring back) usually translating them into Hebrew.
    Gadi

• Vanamonde December 12, 2010, 7:20 AM

God bless you and thank you, Fraiser Cain and all of the great people involved in this wonderful site and your charity to share this joy with all.

I live a terribly bleak life in a very dark world. Here is a refuge from that.

May you blessing out number the stars of our Galaxy!

hide