≡ Menu

On the Edge of Titan

Titan's haze-covered limb seen by Cassini on June 6

Here’s a quick look at one of my favorite cosmic photo subjects – the varying layers of atmosphere that enshroud Saturn’s enormous moon Titan. The image above is a color-composite made from three raw images acquired by Cassini during its latest flyby.

On June 7 Cassini approached Titan within 596 miles (959 km) and imaged portions of the moon’s northwest quadrant with its radar instrument, as well as conducted further investigations of areas near the equator where surface changes were detected in 2010.

The image here was assembled from three raw images captured in red, green and blue visible light channels. It reveals some structure in the upper hydrocarbon haze layers that extend upwards above the moon’s opaque orange clouds — reaching 400-500 km in altitude, Titan’s atmosphere is ten times thicker than Earth’s!

The June 6 flyby was the second in a series of passes that will take Cassini into a more inclined orbit, where it will reside for the next three years as it investigates Saturn’s polar regions and obtains better views of its ring system.

Read more about the flyby here.

Image: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute. Composite by J. Major.

A graphic designer in Rhode Island, Jason writes about space exploration on his blog Lights In The Dark, Discovery News, and, of course, here on Universe Today. Ad astra!

• RichardLAnderson June 9, 2012, 6:27 PM
  • Dampe June 9, 2012, 10:35 PM

The picture alone was enough to warrant an article! I love Titan. I think it’s the mystery behind it. I can’t wait for someone to send a new landing mission there!

• Kawarthajon June 10, 2012, 2:02 AM

I agree, I just hope they do it in my lifetime!!!

• RatliffSandy June 10, 2012, 7:02 PM

Have you ever wanted to earn cash online? That’s why I would like to tell you a website where the owner shares all ways of making money online. Did you know that you can make money trying products or clicking ads? Then you should visit ====>>> ?????? (Click At My Name For Link)

• GardnerDennis June 11, 2012, 7:03 PM

my best friend’s sister-in-law got paid $14696 the prior month. she is making money on the inte<!–truth is almight–>rnet and bought a $372500 home. All she did was get blessed and work up the steps uncovered on this link

?????? (Click At My Name For Link)

• Peristroika June 10, 2012, 1:07 PM

I love Titan and am thrilled as each of its secrets becomes known but I’m equally interested in getting a closer look at Saturn’s claim to fame…the rings. So many simulations and not a single shot that gives us a clue as to what they really are made of.

hide