Ray Bradbury.
Ray Bradbury.

Uncategorized

Science Fiction Author Ray Bradbury Dies

6 Jun , 2012 by

[/caption]

Author Ray Bradbury — who sent generations of readers on travels to fantastic future worlds — has died this morning in Los Angeles, at the age of 91.
Author of more than 27 novels and story collections, such as his famous “The Martian Chronicles,” the enduring “Fahrenheit 451,” “Dandelion Wine” and “Something Wicked This Way Comes,”and more than 600 short stories, the influential Bradbury has been credited with bringing a bit of class to science fiction, helping to move the sometimes maligned genre into the real literature.

In a podcast on the 365 Days of Astronomy, Bradbury said that he wanted to be buried on Mars.

“I don’t want to be the first live person to arrive there,” he said. “It’ll be too late. But I want to be the first dead person that gets there. I want to arrive in a Campbell’s soup can. Bury me on Mars in thing called the Bradbury Abyss. They gotta name a place on Mars for me, and I will welcome that.”

Bradbury definitely needs to have a place on Mars named after him.

Bradbury wrote this advice in “Fahrenheit 451”: “Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in 10 seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream.”

Ray Douglas Bradbury was born Aug. 22, 1920, in Waukegan, Illinois and used the ambiance of small time life to enhance his fiction.

“When I was born in 1920,” he told the New York Times Magazine in 2000, “the auto was only 20 years old. Radio didn’t exist. TV didn’t exist. I was born at just the right time to write about all of these things.”

Bradbury will be missed.

The sad news came via i09.

, ,

By  -
Nancy Atkinson is currently Universe Today's Contributing Editor. Previously she served as UT's Senior Editor and lead writer, and has worked with Astronomy Cast and 365 Days of Astronomy. Nancy is also a NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador.

1. ?????? ?????? says:

I am so sad. He was one of the greatest writers…

2. I spent many many hours of my your days with Ray’s stories. Thank you Ray for all that you’ve done to inspire the imagination of millions, perhaps billions. (And who knows how many more?)

I absolutely love the idea of naming a physical feature of Mars after Ray. Perhaps NASA can arrange to send even just a little bit of his ashes up on a future Mars rover expedition.

• VincentFrank67 says:

m y roo mat e’s e x-w ife got p aid $ 15158 the pri or we ek. she is m aking an inc ome on th e lapt op and g ot a $ 5848 00 h ome. A ll she di d was g et fort unate and s et to wo rk the ad vice sh own o n th is we b si te

?????? (C li ck A t My N am e F or L i n k)

• PattersonWillard24 says:

m y frien d’s m oth er-i n-la w ma kes $8 5 eve ry h o ur o n th e co mputer. S h e h as be e n o u t o f a jo b for 6 m ont hs b ut l ast mo nth h er p aych eck w as $ 1 91 77 j ust wo rking on the c omp ute r fo r a fe w h our s. R ea d m or e h er e

?????? (C li ck A t My N am e F or L i n k)

• SheppardJewell73 says:

m y bu ddy’s st ep-m ot h er m ake s $6 2 h ourl y o n the in te rn et. S he ha s be en o u t o f a jo b f or 6 m ont hs b ut la s t m o n th he r c hec k w a s $ 20 978 ju st w orki ng o n th e int er ne t f or a fe w h ou rs. Re ad mo re he re

?????? (C li ck A t My N am e F or L i n k)

3. Louie Bernstein says:

Bradbury Abyss… Now THAT has a ring to it!

4. nafin says:

A few years back he went on a little tour in Southern California giving talks to raise money for libraries (which were rather endangered at the time). When he gave one of these talks at the community college in my home town of Ventura the turn out was unbelievable. Not only did Bradbury being an elegance to science fiction, he also made it accessible to a wider audience.

5. T. says:

Looks like there’s only Frederick Pohl and Jack Vance surviving from the Golden Era.

6. naureenamjad says:

‘Stuff your eyes with wonder..’ the way to live! Thanks Bradbury.

7. Aqua4U says:

RIP…. You will be missed.

8. lcrowell says:

I was an avid reader of his work from the fifth grade. He launched many imaginations.

LC

9. Brenda Jean Louise says:

RIP Ray Bradbury. You were a top author who will be missed.

10. Skipdallas says:

I have read and reread most of Mr. Bradbury’s novels and stories. He has given me and countless others around the world not only the enjoyment of reading his work, but he also has helped nurture the imagination of millions. Ray, you have left a lasting legacy for us that will endure forever, may you rest in peace.

11. Kris says:

Rest in peace, will miss you so much!

12. David King says:

Ray Bradbury was one of the first Sci-Fi authors I was introduced to by the librarian at the the school I was going to about 1960/1. I have read a lot of his books & I’ll miss his work, he was a great story teller. Together with Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke & others he was one of my favorite authors.

I add my vote to others that a place on Mars be named after him & that his ashes be buried there as he wished.

Comments are closed.