≡ Menu

Infographic: The Anatomy of a Supersonic Freefall

What are all the steps and stages of Felix Baumgartner’s record-setting freefall attempt which will take place later this year? This infographic provides a look at what happen during the jump.

More info see our article about Baumgartner and the Red Bull Stratos mission, or the Red Bulletin. Alan Boyle’s Cosmic log has a different version of this infographic, a larger (12MB) pdf.

Nancy Atkinson is currently Universe Today's Contributing Editor. Previously she served as UT's Senior Editor and lead writer, and has worked with Astronomy Cast and 365 Days of Astronomy. Nancy is also a NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador.

• Doug Black February 15, 2012, 9:03 PM

I’m sure this would be very interesting … if I could read the damned thing. Graphic design FAIL.

• daniel_rey_m February 16, 2012, 8:46 AM

Why can’t you just download the image separately and then use the Zoom In tool? If it still isn’t enough, copy/paste onto Word, change the View from Print Layout to Web Layout and use the Stretch tool.

• squidgeny February 16, 2012, 1:14 PM

It’s not really a problem of zooming, it’s the poor (and rather bizarre) choice of background image.

But since the article links to a much better image anyway, there’s really not much reason to complain.

• krenshala February 16, 2012, 7:40 PM

Its a problem due to both their choice of white text on a white/light-blue background (text easily blends in), and JPEG compression blurring the text. This problem is evident even on the larger image.

• DarkGnat February 15, 2012, 9:53 PM

I was wondering what was up with this guy. I figure Red Bull got cold feet or something. I hope he is successful, and everything goes according to plan.

• Mark Dunk February 16, 2012, 1:24 AM

My first parachuting experience was from 14,000 feet, a free-fall of about 60 seconds. This is going to be awesome!

• bugzzz February 16, 2012, 8:44 PM

Please tell me this entire thing will be videotaped from his POV. I don’t need to experience it first hand. That will be close enough.

• jean John February 19, 2012, 6:14 AM

I can’t understand. Maybe this should be had a full article. I tried to download the picture but still I can’t see the picture clearly even if I zoom because of the picture quality.

Facts About Earth

• Sandipan February 20, 2012, 3:17 PM

The text is unreadable. Otherwise the concept is great.

hide