'); }
Was the 44th President of the United States a time-traveling teenage Mars explorer?

Beam Me Up, Obama: Conspiracy Theory Claims President Teleported to Mars

4 Jan , 2012

[/caption]

Forget 2012 prophecies, Mayan calendars and lurking planets that go only by the name “X”… there’s an even kookier conspiracy theory in town, and it has to do with our nation’s fearless leader and his teenage teleportation adventures on Mars.

Yes, you read that right.

It seems that two government employees and self-professed time-travelers – er, “chrononauts” – Andrew D. Basiago and William Stillings have come forth and named President Obama as one of their own, along with the current head of DARPA, Regina Dugan.

(DARPA, if you don’t know, is the agency responsible for keeping U.S. defense up-t0-date with advancements in technology. Begun as a response to the Sputnik program in the late 50s, DARPA finds ways to integrate cutting-edge tech developments into stuff the military might want.)

Basiago, a Washington state lawyer, says that he was part of a time travel program developed by DARPA in the 1970s code-named Project Pegasus. He and Stillings claim that both Obama and Dugan were in their “Mars training class” at California’s College of the Siskiyous in 1980, part of a group of 10 young adults chosen to travel to Mars via a top-secret teleportation “jump room”.

They also claim that the then-19-year-old Barack Obama went by the name “Barry Soetero”.

But wait, there’s more.

"I'll beam ya down Mister President but I'll have to see your birth certificate first." (Photo via startrek.com)

The two former chrononauts also said that they encountered the future president at secret U.S. bases on Mars, which he is said to have visited twice between the years 1981 and 1983. On one instance Basiago said he even exchanged words with Ob – uh, Soetero – en route to the “jump room” while on Mars.

“We’re here,” Basiago claims the young president-to-be said to him.

And the supposed reason for the secret teen task force’s Red Planet expedition? To “acclimate Martian humanoids and animals to their presence,” according to Basiago.

You know, to make good with the locals so there’d be no trouble when setting up camp.

White House officials have denied all allegations of the President’s Martian travels, or the existence of a Mars training class. But, of course, they would.

And you thought the whole birther thing was a bit extreme? Wake up sheeple, this is some real crazy here. Chrononaut style.

Read more on Wired.com’s “Danger Room”.

Top image assembled by J. Major from NASA and Hubble images and a campaign photo of President Obama. Star Trek image from www.startrek.com. © 2010 CBS Studios Inc., All Rights Reserved.

, , , , , , ,

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
January 4, 2012 1:06 PM

Why is this crap posted on Universe today, this is ridiculously unprofessional…

squidgeny
squidgeny
January 4, 2012 1:14 PM

Well it is a blog, they’re allowed to be as professional as they like. But I’m inclined to agree – this isn’t a story that warrants any consideration by this website.

Iskender
Iskender
January 4, 2012 2:12 PM

Heh, “Mars training class”.

Get over yourselves…really stupid conspiracy theories can make your day, and I certainly found this funny.

If you can’t see it that way then this certainly works as a reminder of what you get when you accept bad data: this story comes from the same place as stories about Mars soon being the size of the full moon. Anytime you read about new scientific data you should remember that it is fragile, and at any moment someone might start doing things “chrononaut style”.

Rogue Scientist
Rogue Scientist
January 4, 2012 2:20 PM

Iskender
Iskender
January 4, 2012 2:12 PM

Heh, “Mars training class”.

universetoday
January 5, 2012 2:00 AM

Ridiculously? No, if we supported the conspiracy claims *that* would be u

January 5, 2012 10:08 AM

Don’t vaccinate serious users. Post it in sidebars, I have them completely empty, I sacrificed recent coments. grin Really, ridiculous world we live in.

Iskender
Iskender
January 5, 2012 1:33 PM

“You are helping to troll your own serious fans.”

“Trolled” implies being tricked due to a lack of humour or knowledge. I hope you’re not at risk of either.

Also, learn to scroll past stories you aren’t interested in. It’s not like UT came out in support of these claims…

January 5, 2012 2:34 PM

Trolling can mean a lot of things. If trolling isn’t the right word, then bothered might be the right one. When people care about a site, they read everything. The people who care want to solve a problem for ever, that’s why they post there/here.

I call bullshit about scrolling past stories. Clearly, something controversial is happening here and it needs to be fixed. I don’t want it happening on UT. It happens like every half-year. I still remember Iranian UFO. It doesn’t suit UT and the right people should be vaccinated, not the immune ones.

January 6, 2012 7:57 PM

While I agree with you that articles like this could use with slightly better labeling, on the other hand I think even the batshit crazy ideas deserve to be checked via Scientific Method. You know, just in case the crackpots might actually be on to something for once. wink

January 5, 2012 10:08 AM

squidgeny
squidgeny
January 5, 2012 12:29 PM

Anyone who thinks the claim is plausible is beyond help, I feel.

There are plenty of websites aimed directly at debunking conspiracy theories – I come to UT because I’m already a skeptic and want to learn what scientists are learning, not what I already know.

Btw this is my favourite site and still is, but I won’t pass up an opportunity to give feedback smile

January 5, 2012 2:50 PM

It’s apparently controverial, so everyone has a bit of truth.

He shouldn’t stop debunking, but it should be pulled off in a better way. The right people should be targeted.

Lawrence B. Crowell
Lawrence B. Crowell
January 4, 2012 1:27 PM

It is way too early for April Fools jokes.

LC

Lights in the Dark
January 4, 2012 2:40 PM

Thought we’d get an early start this year!

DrFlimmer
DrFlimmer
January 4, 2012 4:15 PM

Maybe we all got chrononautinized and it is already the 1st of April. wink

Tom
Tom
January 4, 2012 1:59 PM

It’s a blog, not a scientific journal. Don’t like it, don’t read it.

January 5, 2012 10:38 AM

I call bullshit.

Baris Bicer
Baris Bicer
January 4, 2012 2:23 PM

This is just silly. I like these kinds of conspiracy theories because they just sound fun, and there’s no way anyone in their right mind would believe it.

Primary Resources
January 4, 2012 2:26 PM

The White House commented on this?! I wish, when a waste-of-time response from on high came in, they’d have a laugh with it and say something like “Wh… Wha! How did you find out?! Cat’s out of the bag, citizens”! smile

Peter
Peter
January 4, 2012 2:49 PM

There was an elite force of only ten young people and he only exchanged two words with Barry? Probably half were females so methinks the guys must have kept the lockerroom hijinks in check!

Tamara Rose
Tamara Rose
January 4, 2012 3:14 PM

Imagination is more important than knowledge… Anything that keeps possible exploration of space on our minds is okay with me. It is interesting how many times Mars comes up for conspiracy theorists. There is a very interesting remote viewing project about mars on http://www.farsight.org/demo/Mysteries/Mysteries_1/Mysteries_Project_1.html

The guy presenting the video info kind of looks like an alien to me though, its probably just propoganda put out by the greys.

January 5, 2012 11:09 AM

Well, that’s just cheap.

Kawarthajon
Kawarthajon
January 4, 2012 3:14 PM

If these guys have already been to Mars and acclimated the Marsian population to humans, why are we wasting all that money sending Curiousity there? It just doesn’t make sense…wait a second, it’s to cover up the fact that they went to Mars so many years ago. I get it. Clever, very clever. Kind of like how Reagan wasted billions of dollars on his star wars program, just to get the Soviets to spend lots of money and collapse their economy. Sneaky.

Lights in the Dark
January 4, 2012 4:11 PM

Curiosity is just a motorized vacuum cleaner that’s being sent to suck up all of Obama’s discarded cans of “Tab”.

Bob Blaskiewicz
January 4, 2012 3:23 PM

I do a conspiracy theory round up at my website. There was a good one this week about how the earth is literally going to get knocked up by a comet-that-was-a-star oir something. Oh, also there are alien cylinders attacking the solar system: http://skepticalhumanities.com/2011/12/31/the-last-two-weeks-or-so-in-conspiracy-31-dec-2011/

Alex Hall
Alex Hall
January 4, 2012 3:28 PM

Brilliant! Thank you for sharing smile

SteveZodiac
SteveZodiac
January 4, 2012 4:07 PM

What a deluded bunch, they actually never made it onto Project Pegasus, they failed the polygraph which I suppose is why they are lawyers now and as for Barry Soetero he’s just a double.

January 4, 2012 6:06 PM

good article

Kawarthajon
Kawarthajon
January 4, 2012 7:05 PM

Can someone take this spammer off the air?

Ray Fowler
Ray Fowler
January 4, 2012 7:28 PM

His claim has more merit than this article

Eric E
Eric E
January 4, 2012 6:49 PM

Let’s all stop pretending that the president is genuinely interested in space flight.

January 5, 2012 12:09 AM

With one possible exception (whom you may or may not otherwise find acceptable), none of the GOP candidates really are, either…

And it’s no surprise. Important though it may be to those like us, no Presidential candidate ever won or lost on their space policy, if any. It’s WAY down the list of issue priorities for the majority of US citizens.

Eric E
Eric E
January 5, 2012 1:18 AM

Totally in agreement. No choice on the ballot in that regard.

January 5, 2012 12:09 AM

1212
1212
January 4, 2012 7:22 PM

Can vividly picture how Martin Sheen would have responded in The West Wing

Guy Stimpson
January 4, 2012 7:52 PM

Erm…I don’t really know where to start!

GekkoNZ
January 4, 2012 8:35 PM

Ummm….can somebody please explain to me why on earth the ramblings of an obviously mental ill person is worthy of an article in an astronomy website like Universe Today?

If I went around saying that I have been meeting with invisible three-headed unicorns being ridden by little green men from Mars, would that be newsworthy? Of course not, it is obviously crazy talk.

Why is this any different?

Is it not a bit cruel to poke fun a somebody who seems to be suffering from a psychological condition?

Please take a long hard look at this sort of article posting Editors, it does you no favors, and comes across as extremely poor journalism.

universetoday
January 5, 2012 2:07 AM

I TOTALLY disagree. Those of us in the space journalism industry have learned that crazy conspiracy theories need to be debunked aggressively and openly, using every new media tool at our disposal. We want the skeptical view to reach minds as quickly as the conspiratorial/nonsense view.

I get dozens of emails a week from people freaked out of their minds about how they think the world is going to come to an end in 2012. It’s our job to tear apart the nonsense and clarify the science. And if you don’t think that’s journalism, we’ll have to disagree.

You think that ignoring these memes makes them go away, but you’re wrong. It makes them stronger.

Eric E
Eric E
January 5, 2012 5:44 AM

I don’t think anyone would disagree with anything there.

While there are many silly conspiracy theories, there are many more organized groups actively trying to harm science education in much deeper ways. I sympathize with Geko solely in that he knows there are more dangerous people than these nutters.

Keep on the debunking

e

EagleUK
EagleUK
January 5, 2012 7:56 AM

Sorry, Fraser, but it’s feeding them that makes them stronger, IMO.

What might be more interesting is for journalists to investigate what Project Pegasus really was, and then present that as a rebuttal.

Jeffrey Boerst
January 5, 2012 8:13 AM

Come on, ya’ll… This stance of debunking the nutses is a part of UT’s model. Popularizing science definitely has unpopularizing pseudo-science as an obviously necessary agenda point. Listen to what Fraser is saying.

astroengine
January 5, 2012 5:40 PM
Unsurprisingly, I totally agree with Fraser on this one. It was my stance before writing for the Universe Today that to “feed the trolls” was a silly move. Why debunk their obviously unhinged theories? Sadly, doomsayers, crackpots and con men with a book to sell will butcher science to dress up their silly claims. If these people go unchecked, to a non-science audience they may appear to have a point. I see it as the responsibility of scientists and the science media to call-out the nonsense whenever they see it. But the responsibility doesn’t end there. Whenever possible, the mechanism of debunking should be a positive experience for the reader. The news media is always on the lookout… Read more »
January 5, 2012 8:01 PM

Fraser Cain, I totally agree. You state the case much more eloquently than I. I don’t see anything wrong with aggressively debunking these theories. By gathering data and examining all of the available facts, we can quickly and properly access the validity (if any) of the claims. This type of rapid “fact based” response will ultimately (in my opinion) bring more credibility to the scientific community and “hopefully” encourage future theorist to more aggressively investigate the facts before presenting their theories.

Torbjorn Larsson OM
Torbjorn Larsson OM
January 5, 2012 8:55 PM
Ah, an editorial policy analysis. I am not much cognizant of this subject, but as a private citizen I could fall down in either camp: – It think there is enough statistics and behavioral/political science that says open and forthright positions are a winning strategy. Hence tone trolling is not helpful. – I don’t think that forthrightness automatically translates to covering every piece of trash out there, even if it was practically possible. For example, you still see blogs devoted to the whole purpose not only of informing about evolution science and the failings of creationism but to cover every “week in creationism”. (Yes, the Panda’s Thumb, I am looking at you!) That, and the similar early willingness… Read more »
Surak
Surak
January 5, 2012 4:35 PM
I’m a huge fan of UT, without UT I might not have rediscovered my love of astronomy, which had sat dormant for many years. I should probably nick-name my telescopes “Fraser” and “Pamela” since it was Astronomy Cast that made me finally jump into a purchase. It makes me giggle like a smitten school girl when my crude images find there way on to this site. So I don’t mean to be picky, but really this article mildly ridicules the ideas if not also the conspirators. It doesn’t debunk their claims at all aside from the White House blanket denial. Not that I mind some well deserved ridicule of crackpots, I definitely fall closer to PZ Myers than… Read more »
Lights in the Dark
January 6, 2012 6:59 PM

I admit to mild ridicule, as the author of the above. I felt the claims were so outlandish that outright debunking would be unnecessary. Granted, it’s not a full-blown investigation of the committees and persons involved, but my motives were not “trollish” at all. I more than assume that the readers of UT are all informed enough to know how silly this all is.

Lights in the Dark
January 6, 2012 6:59 PM

Surak
Surak
January 4, 2012 5:10 PM

Booo. I wouldn’t run stories like this simply because any attention given to conspiracy theories, good or bad, just empowers the ill people behind them and points new suckers in their direction.

Sure it’s a funny chuckle, but this kind of thing is why we have idiots fighting to eliminate Wi-Fi in schools and threatening to sue my local government and organize recalls to kick out elected people over the non-issue of Smart Meters.

Don’t feed the conspiracy trolls.

xiao dong yu
xiao dong yu
January 5, 2012 12:17 AM

When will Trump ask for Obama’s interplanertary passport?

xiao dong yu
xiao dong yu
January 5, 2012 12:17 AM

When will Trump ask for Obama’s interplanertary passport?

Mark Silvers
January 5, 2012 3:20 PM

What is even “kookier” is calling Obama “our fearles leader”

wpDiscuz