Chris Hadfield’s 5-month Space Mission in 90 Seconds

by Nancy Atkinson on May 14, 2013

Want to stay on top of all the space news? Follow @universetoday on Twitter

Already missing him being in space? I’ve seen several tweets about people going through Hadfield withdrawal. But to tide you over until he starts tweeting again (just give him a little time to get his Earth-legs again) here’s a mashup/supercut of Chris Hadfield’s video and image highlights from his five-month stay on the International Space Station.

Expedition 35 Commander Chris Hadfield of the Canadian Space Agency (CSA), left, Russian Flight Engineer Roman Romanenko of the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos), center, and NASA Flight Engineer Tom Marshburn sit in chairs outside the Soyuz Capsule just minutes after they landed in a remote area outside the town of Dzhezkazgan, Kazakhstan, on Tuesday, May 14, 2013. Hadfield, Romanenko and Marshburn are returning from five months onboard the International Space Station where they served as members of the Expedition 34 and 35 crews. Photo Credit: (NASA/Carla Cioffi)

Nancy Atkinson is Universe Today's Senior Editor. She also is the host of the NASA Lunar Science Institute podcast and works with Astronomy Cast. Nancy is also a NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador.

Cherd Bud May 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Now that was cool. Only the pitts and clooneys of the world can dream to be as heroic as he

Coacervate May 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Is it possible to have a calm rational discussion about the ISS? I hated seeing the golf club come out on the moon and I am not impressed with Hadfield’s stage presence. Maybe he should go on Idyl. I object to the ISS as it has devolved into whatever it is. Maybe that is a good starting point. What is the ISS? Is it worth the bang for the buck? Or are we just strumming along while the “developing” world takes space for real? When people look for heros they find them. Where is my science?

Mike Petersen May 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

It is not possible to have a calm conversation with you in the light of your abyssmal state of ignorance concerning the value of science and the ISS. In addition, you have no idea how much Hadfield’s “stage presence” has catapulted the popularity of space travel as a possible career for youngsters.
You ask, “Where is my science?” It’s all around you. Too bad you won’t open your eyes and look.

Soaku Hin May 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Chris Hadfield is a contemporary hero.

He re-made the ISS project Human, Public, and International.
He represents the best of human qualities, If I ever meet him I will thank him and shake his hand!

Dan Gauss May 14, 2013 at 11:53 PM

the coolest Canadian since Gordie Howe… :)

Mike Petersen May 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Chris Hadfield, the Carl Sagan of space travel.

Meredith Neria May 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM

thank you for my morning dose of Chris Hadfield :)

Philip Havice May 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Ya just have to watch the I.S.S. soar overhead and then watch some live feed from the space station , and feel connected , humanity at its best . Congratulation to all that have created all the science and fabrication from around the world . Thank you !

Philip Havice May 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

And William Shatner !

Aqua4U May 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Chris (Bowie) Hadfield brought the ISS into my house on a regular basis in a delightful and insightful way. He is a credit to Canada and the world… Good job Chris! More por favor! I can only hope he’ll become the first Canadian on the Moon! or even Mars!

Jimmy Mathieu May 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Funny how a Canadian made the ISS cool.

Never thought I would find a guy with a moustache cool one day.

John Arbuckle May 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I really miss this guy. I hope his interaction with educators, students and the Legions of Millions via social networking outreach is taken to heart and formalized by The Federation :)

Previous post: