Want to stay on top of all the space news? Follow @universetoday on Twitter
Have you ever been out on a beautiful, starry night and wondered what it was you were seeing? Maybe you are walking your date home on an amazing, clear night and want to impress the heck out of her by comparing her eyes to the stars in Orion’s Belt; or her movements are as graceful as the swans in Cygnus. The Distant Suns app will help you locate these features in the night sky to back your romantic gestures with pure science.
The people at Distant Suns have been working hard to improve the features in this already cool app. The latest and greatest addition is the ability to track Comet PANSTARRS more easily. One of my favorite features of this app is the overlaying of the local landscape with the current features in the night sky. This really allows you to have a reference point for your stargazing in the future should you find yourself without your cell phone.
For the rest of this week until Sunday only, the Distant Suns App is available for half price. If that is still too rich for your blood, try to win one of 6 free copies that Universe Today and Distant Suns is offering to give away this week. With the days getting longer and the nights getting warmer, this is a really cool way to learn about the features of the night sky without the benefit of a telescope.
This Giveaway is now closed. Thank you for your interest!
In order to be entered into the giveaway drawing, just put your email address into the box at the bottom of this post (where it says “Enter the Giveaway”) before Monday, March 11, 2013. We’ll send you a confirmation email, so you’ll need to click that to be entered into the drawing.
- Augmented Reality Viewing overlays the sky with the local landscape (iOS only)
- What’s Up? Offers an overview of the evening’s sky
- GPS and Compass aware
- News ticker of up-to-date space and astronomy news
- NASA’s Night Sky Network of local astronomical events
- Over 300,000 planets, stars, galaxies, nebula and star clusters
- Interactive tour of the solar system
- Available for purchase at the App Store
- Distant Suns Astronomy Apps are also available for Android, Kindle and Nook. For more information, please go to Distant Suns product page.
This giveaway is closed. Click this link to see our active giveaways