Where in the Universe 75

Where In the Universe #75

Article Updated: 24 Dec , 2015

Here’s this week’s image for the WITU Challenge, to test your visual knowledge of the cosmos. You know what to do: take a look at this image and see if you can determine where in the universe this image is from; give yourself extra points if you can name the spacecraft responsible for the image. We’ll provide the image today, but won’t reveal the answer until tomorrow. This gives you a chance to mull over the image and provide your answer/guess in the comment section. Please, no links or extensive explanations of what you think this is — give everyone the chance to guess.

If you need some more challenges, look back at all previous 74 Where In the Universe Challenges.

UPDATE: The answer has now been posted below.

As Darth Vader once said, “All too easy.”

This is Mars moon Phobos, as seen by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s HiRISE Camera. And yes, the big impression is Stickney Crater. See more images of Phobos (and larger version), as well as more info from the HiRISE site here.

Right now, we don’t have a “hide” feature on comments. Sorry.

Check back next week for another WITU challenge.

'); }

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Bill
October 14, 2009 6:38 PM

1) My first reaction was an electron microscope image of a dust particle returned by the Stardust mission to comet Wild 2.

2) After reading the comments and looking at an image of Phobos, id does indeed look like it could be Phobos, but just to be different, I will stick with my number one comment as it is not identical to the image that I saw. (perspective?)

3) I like Astrofiends idea of hiding the comments until you have posted, then being able to see them. It will have the added benefit of bringing in not only more comments, but a wider array of ideas.

Gintautas
Gintautas
October 14, 2009 1:41 PM

The Stickney Crater is the largest crater on the Martian Moon Phobos.
This image was taken by the HiRISE camera aboard the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Lawrence B. Crowell
Lawrence B. Crowell
October 14, 2009 1:54 PM

Dang too late. Phobos it is. MRO is the spacecraft

LC

Jorge
Jorge
October 14, 2009 2:21 PM

Ah, too easy. It’s Mars’ moon Phobos, shot by MRO.

ROCA
October 14, 2009 2:49 PM

Phobos (Stickney Crater) by Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, HiRISE camera.

Ringman
October 14, 2009 4:33 PM

Phobos!

Astrofiend
Astrofiend
October 14, 2009 5:28 PM
In this case the picture was pretty easy so I think most people would instantly know it, but I think the ‘Where in the Universe’ challenge would be heaps better if there was some way of the website hiding other people’s comments/answers until you had posted yourself. This way, people who either know the answer or end up Googling it won’t be able to sway/ruin it for others. It sucks when there is a WITUC that you aren’t sure about, want to have a guess at, but then see twenty comments from people who’ve either Googled it or already know the answer listed down the bottom. In that case, there’s no point putting down your original thought, but… Read more »
Ivan3man_At_Large
Ivan3man_At_Large
October 14, 2009 6:11 PM

I second Astrofiend comment.

Ivan3man_At_Large
Ivan3man_At_Large
October 14, 2009 6:15 PM

Correction: I second Astrofiend’s comment.

(Also, an edit facility here would be useful!)

Nathan Briggs
Nathan Briggs
October 14, 2009 11:44 PM

Got to be Phobos by the MRO.

ESA Exile
ESA Exile
October 15, 2009 12:19 AM

Yes, Stickney, Phobos, c/o MRO. And yes, blocking the other comments until the results are announced would be better. Being in Europe the page tends to be posted when I’m asleep!

Spoodle58
October 15, 2009 1:27 AM

I love this lot of images
Stickney crater, Phobos by HiRISE

tielenaar
tielenaar
October 15, 2009 3:48 AM

What a beautiful photo! It wasn’t hard to guess, but I didn’t know for sure until I read the comments.
And yes, a hide comments function for WITU pages would be great.

hroethbert
hroethbert
October 15, 2009 4:00 AM

Interesting photo, I have not seen Phobos like this before.

What has caused the striations away from the crater?
Surely Phobos’ gravity is far too weak for these to be caused by ejecta, especially so with the crater being so large.

Sorry , first post, I’m just a noob.

HeinDuPlessis
HeinDuPlessis
October 15, 2009 5:17 AM

Amazing image, but you had this already on Universe Today, April 9, 2008 !

Astrofiend
Astrofiend
October 15, 2009 5:43 AM

hroethbert Says:
October 15th, 2009 at 4:00 am

“Sorry , first post, I’m just a noob.”

Why be sorry? That sort of question/discussion is what this site is all about!

It is an interesting question. I’ve got no immediate answer… Maybe if it’s tidally locked to Mars, it gradually regathered some material from the initial collision as it continued to orbit? If it’s tidally locked, then the material could conceivably come in from the forward facing direction and deposit on the surface causing striations. Wild guess though…

SteveZodiac
SteveZodiac
October 15, 2009 7:20 AM

I recognised it from Celestia as Stickney Crater on Phobos but it almost looks like it’s made of shiny metal in this photo. hroethbert’s question is a good one the obvious web page to look at says Equatorial surface gravity 0.0084–0.0019 m/s² (8.4-1.9 mm/s²) (860-190 µg) and that entry also poses the same question, I wonder if it was hit by a big fluffy comet and the material of the comet got smeared around teh crater it created.

SteveZodiac
SteveZodiac
October 15, 2009 7:23 AM

doh! and if I had read the article properly I would have seen the probable explanation

Richard Kirk
Richard Kirk
October 16, 2009 11:33 AM
Am I alone in thinking this picture looks amazingly bogus? It looks like someone has wrapped some texture around an object, and hasn’t corrected for the lighting or the anti-aliasing. The edges of Stickney all have the sort of artifact you will see on Google Earth when you look at the South Pole, where texture photographed at grazing incidence is mapped onto a solid. Then there is the edge of the crater with the white-blue texture that doesn’t seem to share the same lighting, and the features seem all pulled out towards the top right hand edge. It’s real. Well, I think it is, unless I trust no-one. I went and had a look on the original website.… Read more »
Astrofiend
Astrofiend
October 16, 2009 5:06 PM

No no you’re right – it looks like it’s a texture from a mid-late nineties computer game or something. Trippy, huh?

wpDiscuz